Olympian Heritage & Civilization
Investment in Humanity, Social Innovation & Progress
Who we are:
Olympism for Humanity (O4H) is a Champions of Change Academy with expertise in applying Olympism, Democracy and Humanity in Action ventures to address local and global social challenges.
Housed and supported by the Center for Intercultural Education and Development (CEID), we comprise notable experts from Georgetown University, International Olympic Academy, Yale Center of Analytical Sciences, Santa Clara University, CARDET and other prominent institutions across the globe. A full list of our current allies can be found here.
Our focus and what guides our mission:
O4H embraces the relationship between the ancient Olympic idea and the modern world by cultivating international collaborations, to educate youth and people of all ages through life-long learning, entrepreneurship and civic engagement.
Our program has three main goals:
- Sustain a global academic network committed to the integration of Applied Olympism in Society, youth engagement, social entrepreneurship and humanitarian action
- Increase inter-agency cooperation with humanitarian engagement, and
- We work with a variety of groups and individuals, from non-governmental organizations, humanitarian agencies and academics, to researchers, teachers, and universities, among others.
We host conferences, summits, professional training programs and festivals. We also produce scholarship to enhance and further the values of Olympism for everyone involved. All of these important activities depend on outside funding, donations and sponsorship.
What we do:
O4H Academy provides capacity building, mentoring, organization and other services to academic agencies, individuals and organizations in order to support their purpose-driven humanitarian venture in their own respective communities.
Using the principles of applied Olympism and guided by the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals and the Olympic Agenda 20+20 recommendations we deliver on five core activities to help promote resilience, social innovation, sustainable development, community health and human welfare:
- Olympism in Action academic curricula, academic engagement, e-learning and professional development certificate
- Conflict transformation and sustainable development policy and programming
- Needs-based capacity building and training
- Applied and integrated scholarship
- Youth-led social entrepreneurship
What is Olympism?
As defined by the International Olympic Committee’s Chapter (IOC):
- Olympism is a philosophy of life, exalting and combining in a balanced way the qualities of body, will and mind. Blending sport with culture and education, Olympism seeks to create a way of life, based on the joy found in effort, the educational value of a good example and respect for universal fundamental ethical principles.
- The goal of Olympism is to place sport at the service of the harmonious development of humankind, with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the preservation of human dignity.
- The goal of Olympism is to build a peaceful and better world – to inspire and motivate the youth of the world.
This picture captures the “krypte”, the entrance through which athletes use to enter the Ancient Olympia Stadium. Build your humanitarian legacy and light your Olympism for Humanity “torch” at the birthplace of the Olympic spirit.
Copyright 2012-2020, Olympism For Humanity Alliance, Inc. – All rights reserved.